Building a disaster resilient Bangladesh’ initiative is now moving towards `Enhancing inclusive disaster resilience in Bangladesh’ after endorsement and successful implementation of the Community Based Disaster Preparedness (CBDP) institutionalization model. Objective the action is to strengthen and expand institutionalization of Disaster Management Committees (DMC) by enforcing implementation of Disaster Management Act (DM Act) and Standing Orders on Disaster (SoD). This action will transfer skills to Master Trainers at District and Upazila, in order to conduct inclusive Community Risk Assessments (CRA), Urban Risk Assessment (URA) and develop inclusive Risk Reduction Action Plans (RRAP). The process develops Master Trainers at District, Upazila, and City Corporations and conducts inclusive CRA and URA and develops inclusive RRAP. District Disaster Management Committee (DDMC) will strengthen its capacity to outreach to Upazila and urban Wards. The action will facilitate in securing the funding from Government’s Annual Development Plan allocation and other resources. Standardized approach emphasizes consolidation, and replication of the community-led inclusive processes as per the CBDP institutionalization model, School Based Disaster Preparedness (SBDP) approach, resilient livelihood practices and advocating for policy implementation and accountability. These models have been endorsed by Government in order to build community resilience by enhancing the capacities of institutions and government agencies at different level. Policy advocacy related work for institutionalization of the CBDP model will be one of the important areas of intervention under this Action. In addition, endorsement of WDMC, DRR Curriculum, Risk Informed Planning Guidelines, and HFA progress monitoring and addressing the issues related to water logging are key focuses together that will contribute in achieving the overall objective of the action. A natural hazard event is not itself a disaster. It becomes so if a settlement is badly sited in a flood plains, or houses near a fault line are poorly constructed, or if no warning system is in place. Disasters arise from the combination of hazard events and human vulnerability. Indeed, the number of deaths from disasters has generally decreased over the last century, thanks to better monitoring, warning and preparedness systems as well as response measures. Dhaka is situated in a seismically active zone faces a potential threat of earthquake. The project area is very much susceptible to fire, water logging and earthquake risk those are potential to lose large number of lives, damage of resource, infrastructure and services of the city.
To build a safe and resilient in which children and young people contribute to managing and reducing the disaster risks associated with changes in climate the Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation: Build Safe and Resilient Communities project is implementing in 5 wards of zone 5 under Dhaka South City Corporation in Dhaka by Dhaka Ahsania Mission. In DPM project Plan International Bandladesh and Cofra Foundation, Switzerland providing technical and financial support accordingly.
Project Agreement Number: NA
To enhance the resilience of most at risk groups to the recurring and escalating disaster risks by advancing the DRR institutionalization process in Bangladesh
To promote the standardized DRR Institutionalization models for mainstreaming into development.
- Result-1: Community Based Disaster Preparedness is in practice among relevant stakeholders in rural and urban areas of Bangladesh
- Result-2: School Based Disaster Preparedness is adopted by relevant stakeholders and practiced in schools of Bangladesh
- Result-3: Promote resilient livelihood initiatives and institutionalize among relevant stakeholder
- Result 4: Advocate for risk informed policies and frameworks in Bangladesh
- Formation of school and community based institution (WDMC, SDMC, Student Council, Child Organization and youth groups) for awareness raising and capacity building of children, youth and communities.
- Development of School safely plan/ contingency plan and Urban Risk Assessment process to demonstrate and establish DRR and CC adaptation model
- Mainstreaming of good practices
- (Re)activation of DMCs (DDMC, UzDMC & UDMC) and Ward Disaster Management Committees(WDMC) and Project Inception and handover workshops (local level)
- Capacity building of DMCs on CBDRR,DM frameworks, risk assessment, and DRR mainstreaming into development ( 3 days training following Hermonized Training module)
- Training to UDMC and WDMC members by Master Trainers
- Support replication of risk assessment at ground level new Ward/Union
- Support replication of risk assessment at ground level old Ward/Union
- Support replication of response plan at ward level new Ward/Union
- Support replication of response plan at ward level old Ward/Union
- Regular Monthly meeting with DMCs advocacy, mainstreaming DRR into development etc)
- Training of selected teachers and students on School Safety through MTs
- Risk assessment and Planning
- Printing and dissemination of Plans
- Raise awareness and promoting contingency plan preparation at Schools
- Co-financing of selective actions of School Disaster Management Plans
- Awareness Raising in School and community level(events, sessions, DRR fair, day observance, competitions etc)
Project Participants: Direct-14,891 & Indirect-9,536,631
Project Duration: March’ 2015 to August’ 2016
Financial partner (Donor): ECHO
Implementing partner (if any): NA
Project Location/s and number of Field Offices: Nine wards under Dhaka North City Corporation, Dhaka and One pourashava is Savar. Two field office in Mirpur and Savar.
Project Budget: BDT 32,94,407.50
Number of project staffs and volunteers:
Name & Designation: ASM Nazrul Islam Project Officer
Cell : 01716149418