|Project Introduction:Dhaka Ahsania Mission started skill development training program in partnership with Swisscontact under SkillFUL project through pilot scheme in December 2011 on Dress Making & Tailoring Course at Pallabi and Shyamoli Training centers. In the pilot phase 30 participants completed skills training on Dressmaking Making & Tailoring course. After successfully completion the pilot phase DAM made contract with Swisscontact Bangladesh for providing skills training to 90 unemployed and underemployed labourers of 14 to 25 years old from the community. This training has been implemented through the two training centers of DAM- 30 trainees at Pallabi center on Beautician course and 60 trainees at Shyamoli center on Beautician (30 trainees) and Mobile `Phone Servicing (30 trainees) Courses. The training started from 1st March 2012 and continued up to 31st May, 2012. After completion the institutional training the graduates involved in on-the-Job training for 15 days. Then the graduates were placed in jobs both in wage and self employment arrangements. The job placement and follow-up activities is going on. As a continuation DAM & Swisscontact mutually agreed to implement this SKILLFUL project for another one year period started from December 2012 and will be continued up to December, 2013 for skill development training to unemployed and under employed adolescent and youths on RMG machine operator courses in the formal employment sector and Block and Batik printer course for informal sector or self employment opportunities. The training will be established through Institute based training process of DAM. The training curricula are segmented at two parts (1) technical training (theoretical & practical) and (2) general training on life skills and others behavioral, health and safety issues. The training session continued 4 hours a day (on technical module and on common modules). The training has been conducted in two shifts daily (15 participants per shift). The morning shift started from 8:30am and continued up to 12:30 pm and the afternoon shift started from 1:30 pm and continued up to 5:30 pm. The project targeted and given priorities to the unemployed and underemployed adolescents and youths between the age group 15 to 25 years who are from ultra poor, disadvantaged, disabled and women headed families, many of who are unskilled or retrenched garment workers living in urban slums came from remote coastal and rural areas. The project offers 3 (three) training courses designed for 3 types of garment manufacturing industries (garment trades): (1) Knitwear Garment (Sweater Knitting), (2) Knitwear Garment (Sweater Linking) and (3) Garment Machine Operation (Woven and knit Garment). It is observed that the RMG sector has been able to bring a tremendous success in the employment of the poor and low literate men and women in Bangladesh. At present over 3 million people are working in the garment industries of whom two-third are women. The demand for skilled garment workers is increasing day by day. If the project activities are continued it is predicted that the unskilled, underemployed, socially, economically and physically handicapped adolescent and youths would be able to develop their living and social status. As a result the garment industries can also increase productivity with quality products. Goal and Objective: Project Goal: To empower especially the young and under-privileged women by providing technical and social skills, which enabled them to improve their employment opportunity, income level and social standing. And to benefit employers through improved work performance by creating 1992 skilled operators for RMG sectors during the project period. Objectives : |
Outputsà Resultsà Outcome: The project initiatives relevant and appropriate to skills development training to 15 – 25 years old unemployed, under employed and unskilled adolescents and youths undertaken with integrated approach as follows:
- To develop work and technical skills of 60 unemployed and underemployed people on Ready Made Garments machine operator to perform work as skilled Garment machine operator.
- To develop work and technical skills of 60 unemployed and underemployed people on Sweater Knitting and sweater linking machine operator to perform work as skilled Sweater Knitting and linking machine operator.
- To develop work and technical skills of 20 unemployed and underemployed people on Block and Batik printing and servicing toperform work basic wok forces of Boutique printing industries.
- Impart market oriented Skills Development Training to the targeted people followed by placement in viable and decent wage employment or in self employment through support services.
- Provide guidance and support to those working children (of 14+) as well as graduated trainees to have proper training under supervised apprenticeship at their own workplaces who will not be able go the training centers.
- Make linkage with other service providers (GO, NGO, Corporate or private organizations) for ensuring economic support to start and to run the self run business.
These centers are:
- Infrastructure for Service Delivery: The service delivery under this program is to provide skills training to targeted people through existing 3 VTIs of DAM. DAM will upgrade the facilities of the existing 3 VTIs.
Moreover, DAM will establish 4 Community Based Training Centers (CBTCs) in old Dhaka, Malibug & Badda area of Dhaka City at rented houses.
- Vocational Training Institute, Mirpur center ( Plot M-1/C, Section 14, Mirpur, Dhaka 1206)
- Vocational Training Institute, Pallabi center ( House # B-91, Road # E-2, Eastern Housing, Pallabi, Dhaka-1216)
- Vocational Training Institute, Shyamoli Center (Ka-113, Pisciculture Housing Society, Shyamoli, Dhaka-1207)
- Identification Survey:The assigned staffs of the project and survey team will identify the appropriate participants through making household survey, visiting workplaces, contacting with relevant organizations (government or non-government) and will make list of the identified people considering the recruitment criteria.
- Selection of Trainees for SDT:The adolescents and youths of poor and disadvantaged families aged of 14 – 25 years are eligible for enrolling in skill development training program.
- Selection criteria & prioritization:Priorities will be given to the vulnerable girls, physically disabled, working children, street children and children from women headed or ultra poor families.
- Selection procedure: With these above criteria some selection procedures will be followed: a) scrutinizing, b) functional literacy test, c) validation and authentication of eligibility, d) parents consent e) final selection and declaration.
- Criteria for the Selection of the Trades:The skill development training courses/trades will be selected on the basis of employability and market demand as well as suitable and acceptable to low educated participants. The considering factors are: a) market demand, b) non hazardous (after obtained skill training), c) option for viable employment (wage , self or apprentices), d) trainee’s aspirations, e) qualified for relatively low education level, f) feasibility of training logistics and infrastructure, g) relatively low cost, h) availability of skill training trainers, i) social and cultural acceptance, j) accredited by the Bangladesh Technical Education Board (BTEB) or industry (if need).
- Training Provisions & Scope of Training: Dhaka Ahsania Mission will ensure development of skills both in technical and non-technical through theoretical and practical training however, emphasis will be given hands-on training. More than 80% time is scheduled for practical training. As a result the trainees will be able to develop their hands on skills with capacity to demonstrate and practice. Each class will consist of about 15 trainees per shift for each of the proposed trades. SDT will be conducted in two shifts at each day and each shift will continue for 3 hours for 5 days a week.
- Life Skills Training: Five days in a week will be scheduled for trade based technical education and one day for non-technical (life skills) education and recreational activities. Non-technical training on life skills development through which the trainees will be aware on self discipline, communication and negotiation skills, interview skills, decision-making, problem solving, health, personal safety, environment, human and labor rights and other issues of social developments.
- Curriculum and Certification: To ensure quality of training as well as to develop the competency of the trainees according to the need of the job market the project will assess the performance weekly basis and finally in the last month of training for graduation purpose. A written certificate of enrolment and completion to each participant will be offered with recommendations for suitable jobs. DAM will follow the recognized National Skill Standard Basic Course curricula of Bangladesh Technical Education Board (BTEB) as well as recognized by the industry/factories.
- Assessment of SDT learners’ aspirations and job market opportunities: DAM will assess the needs, aspirations, aptitude and also eligibility of SDT learners/graduates considering the various options for job placement- supervised apprenticeship, wage employment. This assessment will be undertaken through individual contact or group discussions with the learners and their guardians. The training centers will arrange special days/weeks for job hunting and liaise as well establish networking of potential employers through group meetings, individual contacts with associations (sector/area wise). The ESOs will conduct targeted job market and job placement surveys.
- Employment Arrangement for SDT Graduates:One of the main strategies of this skills training project that 60% - 70% of the skill trained graduates will be provided viable and decent jobs through wage-employment, self-employment or apprenticeship arrangements. DAM will deploy Employment Support Officers aiming to play a vital role for SDT graduates, apprentices and other youth people of the catchments area. The ESOs will hold surveys to identify the targeted workplace/factories for job placement of the graduates and Employers Profile. The ESOs will assess the demand of the employers and will match the demand and supply sides of the labor market through the provision of human resource information, job placement and maintenance services, including tracking of jobs. They will arrange special days/weeks for job hunting and liaise as well establish networking of potential employers through group meetings, individual contacts with associations.
Who the project will serve/is serving (gender disaggregated data if possible by category of recipients): The project will serve for 1992 people Age between 15 to 25 years, Vulnerable (social & economic), People with disability, Divorced or separated, Women headed family members, Under employed & retrenched garment workers where 70% would be female are the recipients. Project Duration: One Year Start date: December, 2012 Financial partner (Donor): Swisscontact Project Location/s and number of Field offices: Dhaka City Budget with annual breakup : BDT 1,619,0400 Contact Person : Mr. Md. Shahjahan Mian, Director, TVET Email : email@example.com
- Wage employment: DAM will provide employment support services through the ESOs to the SDT graduates to place in wage employment directly or after a certain period 3/6 months’ apprenticeship by creating good liaison and relation with the employers. DAM will ensure a tripartite witnessed employment agreement by set of suitable conditions like- decent working hours and remuneration. The assigned ESOs will make follow-up to observe the employment situation, problems (if any) and assess the compliance issues with agreed employment document.
- Self-Employment: DAM will provide support services including training, procurement and financial support, if required to start and run self-run-enterprise. DAM will orient on entrepreneurship development, including basic accounting, marketing and procurement etc. for the graduates interested to start self-run-enterprise. The concerned Instructors will assist the SDT graduates to prepare list of equipments, accessories and materials and estimate the costs. The ESOs will assist in procurement and have seed money (as loan). The ESOs will monitor regularly on the progress and constraints of self employed graduates.