Project Name: Research on ICH Contribution to SDGs-Education and Community Development.
Bangladesh has a rich tradition in cultural heritage, especially intangible cultural heritage (ICH), which is the common heritage of humanity and a precious asset that should be creatively transmitted to the future generation. It is well-known that every society has their own cultural heritage and of those some are so strong that they are branded with the name of that country and event accepted by the UNESCO as world heritage. UNESCO emphasizes the potential contribution of culture, in particular, to the implementation of the SDGs. In its continuity the International Research Centre for Intangible Cultural Heritage (IRCI) in the Asia-Pacific Region (IRCI) conducted the 2-year project that testifies ICH contribution to SDG 4 (Quality Education), mainly the target 4.7, starting from 2018 in the Philippines and Vietname, which was successfully completed in the Philippines and Vietnam. There is confirmation that ICH, contributes to SDG 4. Educational materials are used to help students acquire knowledge and skills in targeting for non-formal education and formal education respectively.So, this new project was initiatedand the project aims to analyze their relationships and clarify ICH roles in SDG 4 and SDG 11 by collecting a series of case studies in different countries in the Asia-Pacific region. In cooperation with counterparts, IRCI will compare, analyze good practices that combine ICH, education and community development to testify ICH contribution to SDGs and utilize the outcomes for safeguarding ICH effectively. Dhaka Ahsania Mission (DAM) has also been selected for ICH Dhamail (song & dance) as the implementing counterparts by IRCIof this project.The key aspect of the project is to promote active engagement of young people in developing bondage between ICH Dhamail, education and community development and effectively contribute to the SDG and preserve it.
Project Agreement Number:Ref. No. APC2C/35
The focus of this proposed project is to conduct a research work, where collecting data and preparation of manuscripts on a case study regarding Education and Community Development through using Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) will be carried out on the ‘Dhamail’ dance and song that can effectively contribute to the implementation of Sustainable Development (SDG 4 and SDG 11)..Along each of its several dimensions – economic, social and environmental peace and security for various social and small groups that can lead by young people of Haor (Wetland) area.
- To analyze the knowledge and role of ICH relationship in the implementation of SDG 4 and SDG 11 using a case study on ‘Dhamail’ (ICH).
- To analyze future perspectives and challenges related to ICH: contributions to SDGs. Analyze data and prepare effective reports where all recommendations will be illustrated.
- To analyze the opportunity to increase the efforts to spread Dhamail as a cultural heritage as a guarantee of its protection.
- Conducting research work on Dhamail in the Haor (wetlands) area of four Upazillas of Sunamganj district-where it can contribute to the development of youth-led education, economic development of various social and minority groups, social and environmental peace and security Caught.
- Analyzed the knowledge of relationships and the ICH roles in realization of SDG 4 and SDG 11.
- Analyzed the future perspectives and challenges regarding the ICH contributions to SDGs
- Analyzed the scope and opportunities of increasing efforts to transmit Dhamail as cultural heritageto guarantee its safeguarding
- Analyzed data and prepared an effective report where Illustrate all recommendations
Project Component: Research Work
- Develop research tools (online & field based both) and
- Team orientation for the project Staff /Data Collectors
- Conduct survey mainly desk survey (online, zoom, Skype & social distance)
- Computer Data Entry
- Data analysis, draft report preparation and share
- Final report submission to IRCI
Project Participants[ During Total Project Year) First of all, the 4 Unions of 4 Upazilas will be selected randomly using random sampling technique from the Sunamgonj district. Qualitative data will be collected from the Dhamail group members, parents and CMC members and youths will be conducted Focus Group Discussion with semi structured questionnaire, and Key Informant Interview (KII) will be held with the teachers, educationists, social workers, local government institution and cultural group members.
Dhamail group member and the youth engaged directly or indirectly with this ICH will be singled out and 100 (Approximately 25 in each Union) of them will be randomly selected using random sampling technique. Apart from the group member and the youths, FGD and KII will be conducted with the teachers, educationists, social workers, local government institution members and cultural group members of targeted 4 Unions.
Directly. Direct observations of Dhamail will also be made by the youths and the Dhamail group. Youth (18-25): M: 100 & F: 100
Dhamail group (Adult age 26-60) M: 100 & F: 100
IndirectlyBeneficiaries with this ICH will be teachers, educationists, social workers, local government institution members (M- 200 & F-200)
Total Beneficiaries= direct = 400 & Indirect= 400
- PHASE1 &2 in FY2020 (October 2020 – March 2021)
- PHASE 3 inFY2021 (April 2021 – March 2022)
Financial partner (Donor):International Research Center for Intangible Cultural Heritage in the Asia –Pacific Region (IRCI)
Implementing partner (if any):Not applicable
Project Location (District & Upazila), Name and number= TheProject location are 4 Upazilas of Sunamgonj District. These are South Sunamgonj, Bishwamvarpur,Diraiand Taherpur.
Number of Field offices:Not applicable
Project Budget (Total): BTD TK. 15,656,68/- for PHASE1 &2 in FY2020 (October 2020 – March 2021)
Number of project staffs and volunteers:
Md. Matiar Rahman, Program Officer,