Since 1985 Dhaka Ahsania Mission (DAM) has been offering variety of livelihood skills development training courses through vocational institutes and also community based out reach centers in urban and rural areas of Bangladesh. Along with skills training DAM provides employment support services including providing micro credit support or linking up with other institutions. The vocational skills training program of Dhaka Ahsania Mission is expanding and strengthening day by day. Dhaka Ahsania Mission has established a full-fledged vocational training center in 2005 at Shyamoli in Dhka City Corporation area. This vocational building was donated by a philanthropist. Dhaka Ahsania Mission equipped and furnished the center with necessary tools, equipment and machineries to run technical and vocational education and training independently. Annual capacity for providing training services is 480. At present Dhaka Ahsania Mission are running 5 full fledged Vocational Training Institutes (VTIs) and 2 Rural Vocational Training Centers (RVTCs) in Dhaka, Gazipur, Jamalpur and Jessore districts.
The Skill Development Training (SDT) Program Components are:
Vocational skills training (Technical training)
Life skills training
Employment support service
Curriculum & material development
Networking and partnership development
Dhaka Ahsania Mission has been providing national level basic training – short courses as well as need based courses in formal and informal sectors. These sectors are- Ready Made Garment (RMG), Light Engineering, Construction and Informal Economy. At present the following courses are offering through Pallabi VTI. These are:
- Electrical Works (6months)
- Mobile Phone Servicing (6 months)
- Dress Making & Tailoring (6months)
- Embroidery & Jori Chumki (6months)
- Beautician course (6months)
- Leather Craft (3 months)
Goal and Objective:
The ultimate goal of the technical and vocational education & training program is attaining improved of living conditions by the target people through access to the world of work and contributing to sustainable and increased family income. These contribute in:
- Improved work skills of the target population to the levels of national standard technical vocational skills –short courses.
- Increased employment opportunities in viable and decent working conditions of the skill trained graduates.
- Increased skills on marketing of the local products produced by the trained people
- Provided international standard SDT courses in selected fields to facilitate overseas employment.
- Disposable income of the target households is increased to provide education, health care and nutrition intake for children and women.
- Migration for livelihood as unskilled labour from the target communities to urban areas and illegal migration for overseas employment will be reduced.
- Visible improvement in the socio-economic conditions in the target unions due to reduction in number of household below poverty line.
- Institutional capacity of DAM is increased to provide demand base skilled development and employment support.
Who the project will serve/is serving (gender disaggregated data if possible by category of recipients)
The unemployed and underemployed adolescents and youths aged between 14 to 25 years are the target people of the skills training program. However, priorities are given to specific preferential socially and economically vulnerable people- girls, women, women headed households, unskilled labour, retrenched garment workers, street and working children, school drop-outs, people living in distress conditions (extreme poor), and physically disabled.
Project Duration : VTI activities are continuing on forward.
Start date : The Vocational Training Institute, Pallabi center was established in January 2010 at its own building.
Financial partner (Donor): No specific donor but fund generates from training fees from individual trainees, NGOs, donor support, philanthropists’ donations and sale of products etc
Implementing partner (if any) : The institute works in collaboration with other non-government and government organization to create skilled human resources.
At present Swisscontact through SkillFUL project and World Bank through Skills Training Enhancement Project (STEP) providing financial assistance. DAM-UK generating fund for the skills training of street and working children through other projects of DAM.
Project Location/s and number of Field offices:
Ahsania Mission Syed Sadad Ali Memorial Education & Vocational Training Center (AMSSMEVTC)
House # 113, Block- Ka, Pisciculture Housing, Shyamoli, Dhaka 1207
Budget with annual breakup: Annual budget: Income BDT. 6,543,370 and Expenditure BDT. 6,543,370 (for July 2012 – June 2013)
Number of project staffs and volunteers : 15
Contact Person : Rabeya Sultana, Director
Email : email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile : 01716917542